Sunday 9 March 2014

5B - Ethics in the Workplace

I did some research online, looking for sites that showed ethical codes of practice in schools/businesses. I looked on a few different sites to see which codes of practice are similar to those in my own work place and which ones were different. 
'Ethics' is a subject that I was not particularly familiar with before starting this course. I knew that there were rules that I had to go by when I first started working but I didn't realise just how many different ethics there are in the workplace. Module 2 has helped me to further my understanding and learning by guiding me to research Ethics/Codes of Practice properly.

Overall, I found that there are personal ethics which people must then apply to their professions and depending on the company/business you are involved in, some different rules/ethics apply.  

There are some extra ethics that need to be considered for teachers in schools. One site that interested me was The Institute for Learning. IFL's code of professional practice came into force on 1 April 2008. The code was developed by the profession for the profession and outlines the behaviours expected of members – for the benefit of learners, employers, the profession and the wider community.

  • Integrity
  • Respect
  • Care
  • Practice
  • Disclosure
  • Responsibility.

These are the sites I used for extra research.

http://www.slideshare.net/sankarprasadmohanty/professional-ethics-for-teachers
http://www.chsbs.cmich.edu/leader_model/development/media/Targeted%20Lessons/workplace_ethics.htm

This post/web page I found was my favourite. It gives 5 characteristics of having good work ethics. Each point has an easy reading summary and covers most of the ethical codes that I feel are most important. 
- Honest
-Refrains from Gossip
-Values Diversity
-Respects Others
-Cooperative

http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/five-characteristics-having-good-work-ethics-11917.html

I feel like I have picked up different ethics over my years of working. I started working from the age of 16 as an assistant and from then I learnt the basic ethics such as working well with the teacher, being helpful, answering phone calls and questions in a professional manor. 


When reading about Ethical codes of practice for teachers, at schools, in the work place etc I figured that most of the ethics I naturally apply when working. I suppose they are considered as personal ethics; being responsible, reliable, respectful and so on. There are some "rules" that are set by my work company, such as uniform and appearance, that I must abide to follow the standards and meet the requests required by the company. I have learnt that there are many types of ethics in the work place that I never really thought about before now. The ethics that are set by the law, rather than "rules": 'do not steal' is an obvious example. 










No comments:

Post a Comment