Wednesday 13 November 2013

Task 1b - Reader 1

Well, this was the part of task 1 I was least looking forward to doing. I dreaded the thought of reading this pack with an overload of internet web information that I have no clue about and felt I would be left completely bamboozled!!! :|

Anyway, after taking the time to read it, I was relieved to find that I actually did understand most of it. How the world ever coped without the amazing communications technology back in the day is just amazing. These days everything in life always refers back to Web 2.0. The great development of this second generation of web-based community facilitates all work around the world.

Web 1.0 only allowed us to create a website/page for others to view without any kind of interaction or option to submit our own thoughts or opinions. The features of Web 2.0 have been so cleverly created. We are the creators, we control the data added and can edit who is able to comment and view it. Social networking for example, the sites can be accessed from all around the world from many different new technologic devices.

Participation! When reading Reader 1 the section 'Architectures of participation' really stuck in my mind. Web 2.0 is Participation, that's when the penny dropped for me. With Web 2.0 the whole world can participate. YouTube for example, a huge social site which has over 800 million users and 4 billion views per day; a very popular way to communicate and a huge search engine online for everyone to use.  I am a fan of social networking, I have accounts on many social network sites. I love "participating," the fact that I can search for friends and pages that interest me is great. I spend a lot of my time interacting with family and friends from around the world thanks to Web 2.0. A big advantage is that I have the power to show as much or as little as I want to online. I can share my thoughts and post videos and photos online for only certain people or can make them available for everyone to see.

Work & Learning - Web 2.0 used for work, any type of work at all! I previously used sites such a Wikipedia for homework when I was younger and unaware that it was an 'un-authorised source'. This is a slight dis-advantage of Web 2.0. There are many sites and communities that allow 'anyone' to change information and post facts online. This is something that myself as a student has become aware of over the years. Many sites don't give secure information and so sometimes it proves a little more difficult when researching using Web 2.0 for my studies. Google, for example, one of the biggest ever search engines. It is very good for finding an answer in a public forum to any question you may have.

Ethical Considerations - Confidentiality and Privacy can be an issue with web-based thinking. There are many "precautions" that we need to take when using Web 2.0 to interact and/or for work. I believe that social sites should be made completely private. If you are using a facebook page for work or advertising, for example, I would ensure that the layout and comments are kept completely professional. I make sure that I keep my professional work private, I don't like to post private information on my Twitter page for example because I know that my profile is open for everyone to see. I feel that everyone using social networking sites such as YouTube and Google Blogger should be aware of what comments they make and what they are blogging publicly. It is essential that if you don't want strangers leaving their opinions on your things that you ensure to change your privacy settings.

Overall, I feel that Web 2.0 has more pros than cons, it is continuing to improve and evolve everyday. More and more people rely on it on a daily basis and it is the best, most up to date way to interact and participate publicly now in 2013.



No comments:

Post a Comment